Monday, September 28, 2009

Where was I.....?

It's funny how time evaporates as we get busier. My intention was to blog every day, but now eight days have passed since my last installment. Sigh. And truthfully, my mind hasn't been on weight loss, either. Upon returning home from Hawaii, I had to finish up preparations for my Fall quarter classes, something I'm still working on, and also help my son get ready to leave for college. I haven't been exercising much, nor have I done much hypnosis. So while I haven't gained anything back, I know I haven't lost anything either.

What's on my mind right now is the urge to de-clutter my life and home. My garage is full of crap; my yard is overrun with weeds; my desk is overflowing with papers, files, and half-completed Do Lists. The rosters and gradesheets of my classes need updating. The clean laundry I folded last week is still sitting on my bed, though the piles are smaller because I'm just taking clothes from them to wear every day. How I would love to just stop the world for a week so I could catch up, clean up, and start fresh. It's hard to stay focused on healthy living when so many other plates must be kept spinning. C-Man and I have noticed how other obligations have taken priority over our workouts now that the Hawaii trip has passed. But really, life never gets less complicated (does it?). Other people seem to do it. Why can't I?

But the urge to get rid of stuff is a healthy one. In fact, too much clutter can create stress - can literally weigh people down. (That goes for emotional clutter, too.) It's not uncommon to hear self-improvement gurus of all sorts advising people to simplify, scale back, and free themselves of the trappings of modern life. If you're feeling frustrated, unfulfilled, trapped, or what have you, start by purging the baggage - the leftovers. That means, if you haven't touched something for over a year, get rid of it. Lighten the load, as it were. That idea is very appealing right about now.

One thing I did get rid of recently is my bathing suit. I'd had the same suit for the past five years, and while in Hawaii, I noticed that it was becoming threadbare in the back. There was this little spot that I at first thought was wet sand, but on closer inspection, I saw the the nylon fibers had worn out and only a transparent mesh was left. As the week went on, these bare spots spread down the back seam, and then I saw the same thing happening in the front. My suit was dying.

That suit deserved to be worn out. I trained for a triathlon in it; I swam in many bodies of water in it; I braved beaches and pools in it, even though I still cringed to be out in public revealing my big fat body. But this suit helped me out a lot. It was called a "Slimshaper," or some such thing, and it was made of comfortingly sturdy fabric that trimmed, supported, and disguised a multitude of sins. It had racing stripes down the sides which enhanced the waistline, and had a little zipper in the front that could be flirtatiously lowered if the mood allowed. I actually felt pretty good in it. That suit had a big job to do, all right .... and it did so admirably.


I'm telling myself that that will be the last "fat swim suit" I'll ever have. When I took it off for last time in Hawaii, I said a little thank you to it. . . the poor thing. It seemed appropriate to leave it there in beautiful Kauai. Good-bye, old friend. Now if only everything else could be disposed of so easily and peacefully.

1 comment:

Corwin Haeck said...

Great post! I also believe firmly in the de-cluttering philosophy as it relates to a less-streeful, more streamlined existence. It's not easy, though. While neither of us is a pack rat, we know that even insignificant possessions can be hard-won and can carry meaning beyond their retail value. Still, few things in life are more satisfying than a great purge of unneeded clutter. It leaves you with a unfettered field of vision and a refreshed psyche.

So, congrats on step one, and RIP streamlined swimsuit with the flirty zipper!

Rock on, Irene.